The “MATSim Book” is now the authoritative reference. The book is diveded into four parts, covering a broad range of topics.
There is an extract of the first couple of chapters, which contains the most relevant topics for new users:
- If the above link seems not to work, try to right-click the link and select “Save Link As…” or “Download Linked File As…” or similar, depending on your browser.
- It is planned that this book extract will be updated once a year to stay consistent with the code.
Some useful Terminology.
The developer guide
- Provides specification of key-aspects of MATSim (e.g. file formats, simulation events, …)
- Lists some guidelines for developers (e.g. coding conventions) to keep MATSim maintainable.
- Gives information about certain packages, how to (programmatically) use them and what features they offer. offers additional pieces of information that may/should be of interest to developers (e.g. how to use Eclipse for development, or some Java-tips)
Other useful links for MATSim developers:
We have prepared some tutorials which should help you getting started with MATSim. The “General Tutorials” section provides the most in-depth tutorials.
Being an open-source project heavily driven by research organizations world-wide, a lot of publications were written about MATSim. If you are interested in scientific publications about MATSim, the publication lists of the following institutions serve as a good entry point:
Some links on third-party sites may refer to content that no longer exists on this website. You might have a look at the archived, old website and see if the content is still available there.